Japan is a country with a long, powerful history, an ultra-modern youth culture and spectacular landscape. This tour provides students with a fascinating cross-section of the country, taking them on a journey from Tokyo and its eclectic cultures to castles once inhabited by Samurai warriors. From the neon-lit districts of Osaka to the Central Alps, where farming villages maintain a traditional way of life, students will get to immerse themselves in every aspect of the culture. They will get to practice their Japanese language skills, staying with local families in the mountains, and taking part in classes from calligraphy to making noodles. They will visit the ancient temples of Kyoto, spot Sika deer on the island of Miyajima and discover the dark past and promising future of the city of Hiroshima.
- Tokyo – Discover the deep-rooted culture of Japans capital as well as modern districts including Akihabara, all whilst enjoying the opportunity to converse with locals during interactive workshops and a formal language lesson.
- Takayama – Explore the traditional mountain town including the beautiful old town, dating back to Japan’s Edo period (from the 1600s) in addition to the historic Takayama Jinya and the Floats Exhibition Hall.
- Kyoto – This ancient city beckons with its maze of temples, shrines, palaces and exquisite gardens.
- Ayabe – Learn about traditional farming practices (such as rice harvesting) and immerse yourself in a traditional Japanese country lifestyle.
- Hiroshima – Discover the archipelago city where one of the biggest tragedies the world has ever seen took place with visits to the Peace Park, Dome and museum.
- Himeji – A UNESCO-designated castle dates to the mid-16th century and is steeped in samurai history.
- Osaka – Explore the vibrant, neon-lit Dotombori district and the colourful Doguyasuji market.
- Return economy class airfare
- 7 day Japan rail pass
- 8 nights hotel accommodation, 2 nights ryokan and 1 night farmhouse
- 3 nights Tokyo, 2 nights Takayama, 2 nights Kyoto, 1 night Ayabe, 2 nights Hiroshima, 1 night Osaka
- Breakfast daily and 3 x dinners
- All relevant transfers and transportation in private coach
- Structured language lesson
- Interactive tours and workshops
- Experiential learning activities
- Escorted by an English-speaking Japanese tour guide
Contact us for a detailed inclusions list and itinerary
Cross Curriculum opportunity
Visual arts & media