Sustainability is a vital topic for the future of our planet. This 9 day tour immerses students in one of the most spectacular regions on the planet and looks at the practices which aim to keep it that way. They will get the opportunity to experience raw and untamed nature in Atherton Tablelands, the wild landscape north of Cairns, where swimming in waterfall pools, exploring the lush rainforest and staying at an eco-lodge will renew their passion for the great outdoors. Yet they will also get a chance to see the technologies ensuring a sustainable future, from visiting a syntropic farm, to learning about wind energy and visiting a bat hospital. The last three days of the tour will see students undertake a volunteer program at Oceans2earth, where they will conduct snorkelling surveys of the Great Barrier Reef, be guided by a marine biologist and spend time contributing positively to its future preservation. This immersive, practical and hugely enjoyable tour will leave students feeling as sense of self-fulfilment and dedication to conserve the environment for future generations.
- Cairns – meet the Bama Indigenous rainforest people and be treated to an authentic corroboree (Australian Aboriginal dance ceremony).
- Skyrail Rainforest Cableway – Soar above the Barron Gorge National Park – part of the Australia’s Wet Tropics World Heritage Area.
- 3 day volunteer Program – Participate in conservation activities and environmental research which relate to the preservation of the Far North Queensland eco-systems.
- Atherton Tablelands – Discover the vast highland region which is a swirl of rainforest, wetlands, and savannahs.
- Mt Emerald Wind Farm – Learn about how the 53 wind turbines produce power for 75,000 homes.
- Lake Tinaroo – Take to the water on a wildlife canoeing tour, where eagle eyed students might spot barking owls or a myriad of reptiles. End the day with a shoreline clean up.
- Syntropic Farm – Enjoy a talk from experienced farm hands and learn how eco-farming practices have been taken to a whole new level as crops and trees are grown symbiotically in this revolutionary method. You will get a chance to plant your own trees too!!
- Mungalli Biodynamic dairy farm – Learn how the once conventional dairy farm adapted to use organic practices and create a symbiotic relationship with the landscape.
- Return economy class airfare
- 5 nights hostel accommodation and 3 nights eco lodge
- 5 nights Cairns, 3 nights Atherton Tablelands
- Breakfast daily, 6 x lunch and 5 x dinner
- All relevant transfers and transportation in private coach
- Interactive tours
- Experiential learning activities
- Guided tours in Cairns and Atherton Tablelands with local guides
Contact us for a detailed inclusions list and itinerary
Cross Curriculum opportunity