This action-packed, week-long tour into Australia’s Northern Territory focuses on genuine cultural immersion with one of the world’s most ancient communities, the Yonglu of Arnhem Land. Amongst this sprawling wilderness of deep gorges, coursing rivers and untouched coastlines, the Yonglu share their culture, beliefs, traditions and homes with students who get hands-on experiences and authentic activities. Darwin will be the jumping off point to Arnhem Land, this enigmatic northern city offering world class museums, lively waterfront districts and stomach-churning close encounters with dinosaur-like saltwater crocodiles at Crocosaurus Cove. Students will learn about historic events including the devastating World War II bombing of Darwin and the havoc wreaked by Cyclone Tracy in 1974, and also hear about the Royal Flying Doctor Service which brings medical aid to isolated communities. From the wilds of Arnhem Land to the vibrant heart of Darwin it is a week packed with learning, cultural immersion, and fun-filled experiences.
- Darwin – Discover its long history from its pre-historic Indigenous past to its military history.
- Crocosaurus Cove – Famed as having the collection with the most amount of Australian reptiles anywhere in the world, Croc Cove will allow you to get up and close to these powerful and magnificent animals.
- Museum and Art Gallery of NT – learn about Cyclone Tracy which devastated the city of Darwin from 24 to 26 December 1974, and meet Sweetheart, an enormous saltwater crocodile.
- Arnhem Land – Explore a vast, wild region on the Arafura Sea steeped in Aboriginal culture and history.
- Buku Larrnggay Mulka Centre – One of the oldest and most respected Aboriginal Art centres in Australia.
- Yolngu Homelands – Our focus will be learning about the Yolngu people, who are part of the oldest living culture on Earth. Amidst their breathtaking ancestral lands, spend time getting to know them and their lifestyle, culture, language and beliefs, through hands-on and immersive experiences.
- Return economy class airfare
- 3 night Darwin (Hotel), 2 nights Arnhem Land (Yolngu Homelands), 1 night Arnhem Land (Nhulunbuy)
- Breakfast daily, 4 lunches and 4 x dinners
- Expert local guide in Darwin for all visits and tours
- A Yolngu guide to accompany the group in Arnhem Land
- All relevant transfers and transportation in private coach
- Interactive tours and workshops
- Experiential learning activities
- Tours in Darwin and Arnhem Land with local guides
Contact us for a detailed inclusions list and itinerary
Cross Curriculum opportunity
Civics & citizenship